If you haven’t already picked up on it, french food is my ultimate favorite. I made Julia Child’s famous Beef Bourguignon. This recipe does take some time to make, but it is worth it, as well as the aroma it gives off. Julia Child will remain one of my favorite and aspiring cooks as her work taught me how to enjoy and celebrate food. Therefore, enjoy making this recipe and celebrate your creation of it!
Julia Child’s Beef Bourguignon
- One 6-ounce piece of chunk bacon
- 3 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 pounds lean stewing beef, cut into 2-inch cubes
- 1 carrot, sliced
- 1 onion, sliced
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 3 cups red wine, young and full-bodied
- 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 cups brown beef stock
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 cloves mashed garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- A crumbled bay leaf
- 8 ounces button mushrooms
- 18 to 24 white onions, small
- 3 1/2 tablespoons butter
- Herb bouquet (4 parsley sprigs, one-half bay leaf, one-quarter teaspoon thyme, tied in cheesecloth)
- Remove bacon rind and cut into lardons. Simmer rind and lardons for 10 minutes in 1 1/2 quarts water. Drain and dry.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Sauté lardons in 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a flameproof casserole over moderate heat for 2 to 3 mins to brown lightly. Remove with a slotted spoon.
- Dry beef in paper towels.Heat fat in casserole until almost smoking. Add beef and sauté until nicely browned on all sides. Add it to the lardons.
- In the same fat, brown the sliced vegetables. Pour out the excess fat.
- Return beef and bacon to casserole. Toss with 1 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper.
- Sprinkle on the flour and toss again to coat the beef lightly. Set casserole uncovered in middle position of preheated oven for 4 minutes.
- Toss the meat again and return to oven for 4 minutes
- Remove casserole and turn oven down to 325 degrees.
- Stir in wine and 2 to 3 cups stock. Cover casserole and set in lower third of oven. Regulate heat so that liquid simmers very slowly for 3 to 4 hours. The meat is done when a fork pierces it easily.
- While the beef is cooking, prepare the onions and mushrooms.
- Heat 1 1/2 tablespoons butter with one and one-half tablespoons of the oil until bubbling in a skillet.
- Add onions and sauté over moderate heat for about 10 minutes.
- Add 1/2 cup of the stock, salt and pepper to taste and the herb bouquet.
- Cover and simmer slowly for 40 to 50 minutes until the onions are perfectly tender. Remove herb bouquet and set onions aside.
- Wipe out skillet and heat remaining oil and butter over high heat. As soon as you see butter has begun to subside, add mushrooms.
- Shake pan for 4 to 5 mins. Once they have begun to brown, remove from heat.
- When the meat is tender, pour the contents of the casserole into a sieve set over a saucepan.
- Wash out the casserole and return the beef and lardons to it. Distribute the cooked onions and mushrooms on top.
- Skim fat off sauce in saucepan. Simmer sauce for a minute or 2.You should have about 2 1/2 cups of sauce thick enough to coat a spoon lightly.
- If too thin, boil it down rapidly. If too thick, mix in a few tablespoons stock. Taste carefully for seasoning.
- Pour sauce over meat and vegetables. Cover and simmer 2 to 3 minutes, basting the meat and vegetables with the sauce several times.
- Serve in casserole and pair with a crusty whole grain baguette.
Be sure to dry off the beef.
Simmer rind and lardons for 10 minutes in 1 1/2 quarts water.
Drain and dry
Add the beef and saute until browned on both sides
Should look like this with the bacon Add the vegetables Sprinkle on the flour and toss in pot Pour in the wine… Add tomato pastePepper..
Now you could create an herb bouquet, but if you keep an eye on the herbs you are removing, you don’t need to wrap in a cheesecloth Add the bay leaves Raise heat the high-medium Cover and place in the oven for 3-4 hours Add pearled onions to pan once butter melts Add 1/2 cup of stock Remove pearled onions once fully cooked
Add mushrooms Remove pot from oven after fully cooked and drain (saving the sauce)
Add beef back into pot and set aside until ready to serve. Then take the sauce and drizzle generously
Look how pretty and delicious that looks!